Thursday 2 August 2012

Lonely

My Illustration 'Lonely' A6 Black Fine Liner Pen

Woop Woop! My first submission to Illustration Friday (IF) for the topic this week 'Lonely'. A few weeks back I discovered the site and last week I did make a drawing (a really cool one too) but was too late. So, this week I was like 'I'm gonna do this!'

I chose pen, partly because I haven't used that material in a while and I was inspired by other illustrations I'd seen.    

I decided on communicating loneliness through using two people and their relationship by using the space on the page. I decided on a girl and boy, placed on opposite pages (in my A6 sketchbook I often use when out-and-about, it was handy) separated by a Cherry Blossom tree and staring into the background of empty space. The tree growing with the gutter of the page suggests the two figures are connected but separated at the same time. Romantic and Poetic. A silent image that slows down time within the picture. Do the couple know one another?  Why are they lonely? Is it their past that connects them, or their future?

If I did not have 7 minutes till the deadline I would have scanned in and finished the illustration off in Photoshop. This time I had to make do with taking a photo and using Paint!! (Hehe, Good Ol' Paint.)

Lizzie Heath

2 comments:

  1. This is FANTASTIC! So on point, it communicates the topic excellently. I really feel the "lonely" feeling they are experiencing... keep it up! GREAT job :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I am very glad!! That's great you feel it! Even when I look at it now, I feel the loneliness but its quite a tranquil kind :D

      Delete